Friday, 22 June 2012

The Benefits Of Vitamin C

I first took vitamin C supplements about 6 months ago but I stopped maybe a month after. Only recently have I started taking them again and my skin has gradually started to improve over the past week and I have also felt a lot better in myself. Every morning with my breakfast I drink the vitamin C drink - I use Superdrug's Vitamin C Effervescent, but I think it has been discontinued, but Berocca is a good alternative
Aswell as taking supplements, Vitamin C can be found in green leafy vegetables, berries, citrus fruits, fruit juices, tomatoes, potatoes, bread and milk. 

Here are the benefits of Vitamin C:
  1. Immunity - Vitamin C is a well-known component of the immune system and is also necessary for collagen (main structural protein found in connective tissue). Vitamin C will protect your body from infection and maintain healthy bones & teeth. Also it will quicken the body's ability to repair wounds.
  2. Common Cold - Vitamin C is an effective antihistamine that will lessen the effects of the common cold i.e. inflammation, blocked nose, aches.
  3. Antioxidant - Vitamin C is a powerful and effective antioxidant that protects our bodies from free radicals that cause oxidative stress. Excessive oxidative stress can lead to numerous severe medical conditions such as atherosclerosis that can both cause heart disease and stroke. Vitamin C also helps to regenerate your supplies of Vitamin E (another useful antioxidant).
  4. Hypertension - Vitamin C has been shown to lower blood pressure which would then lessen the probability of hypertension.
  5. Blood Vessels - Vitamin C ensures proper dilation of blood vessels which can prevent diseases such as high cholesterol.
  6. Healthy Collagen Formation - Vitamin C helps with the formation of collagen which boosts the skin's structure and prevents the skin from losing its elasticity & tone.
Extras:
  • Avoid overcooking vegetables as water-soluble nutrients like Vitamin C are lost when boiled.
  • Vegetarians should increase their intake of Vitamin C to help the body absorb extra iron they loose through not eating meat.
  • A lack of Vitamin C can make tiny capillaries which supply nutrients to skin become fragile. This can slow down wound healing. Also the capillaries can become visible at the surface of skin particularly around the cheeks, nose and chin.
  • 'Fad' diets which guarantee weight loss deprive the body of essential nutrients like Vitamin C.
  • Vitamin C can help deal with stress and can prevent cancer.
A lack of vitamin C can lead to a Vitamin C deficiency. The symptoms of this are:

Bleeding gums
Bruising
Slow wound heeling
Nose bleeds
Anemia
Poor digestion


Melissa x

No comments:

Post a Comment